BUDDY’S DREAM BY CORINE DEHGHANPISHEH
1) Please provide a short excerpt of what your children’s picture book is about
Buddy’s Dream is about a dog’s dream. A dog named Buddy falls asleep during story time. With just one wish, he and his butterfly friends are suddenly swept into an exciting tablet adventure.
2) What inspired you to write this book?
I have a mischievous Shih Tzu dog named Buddy. He is the inspiration for the dog in my children’s books. I also enjoyed creating my first children’s book, Can We Play Again? So I decided to create a second one.
3) How did you come up with the title or series of your book?
The title reflects the storyline. The book is about Buddy’s dream and the adventure his imagination takes him on.
4) Why did you pick this genre?
It was an easy choice. I love that children’s books can be playful and educational at the same time. I enjoy seeing and knowing that while children are reading, they are learning and having fun at the same time.
Also, I love to write, draw, and create which has added to my desire to write and illustrate children’s books.
5) How do the illustrations complement your book? What was important to you as an author?
The illustrations are very important to my book. They help convey the details of Buddy’s journey such as the map and path he followed, as well as the other animal characters involved in the story.
6) As a child, what books and/or authors influenced you the most and why?
I loved to read any book as a child. I couldn’t get enough. There were always books hidden under my bed with a flashlight so that I could continue reading after my bedtime. As a child, I really loved to read Laura Ingalls Wilder books, the Little House Series. I read her books over and over again.
7) What is the most fulfilling thing about being an author?
Watching children enjoy the books that I have written and illustrated. I also love the opportunity to answer their questions and to talk with the children after they have read my books. They always have the most interesting perceptions.
8) What do you hope children will take away with them after reading your book?
While they read my book, I hope they have fun going along with Buddy on his journey. I also hope it helps the children to dream and create their own fun adventures.
9) Who is/are your favourite author/s as an adult and why?
I don’t have one favourite adult author as I enjoy reading a variety of genres such as autobiographies, historical books, light-hearted, feel good fiction, as well as children’s books.
10) What are you working on now?
I recently had a baby girl and have taken some time off to be with her. I am slowly getting back to working on a quirky, children’s books written from the perspective of parents and a child.