Posted by A.S. Chung.
Award-wining author of children’s picture books A Brand New Day: about divorce and Wishful Wedding: about LGBT equality and same gender families. Creator of Pigeonhole Books and blogs about self-publishing, writing, online book marketing, peer bloggers and illustrators.
As I fumble my way across the big bad world of self-publishing, I am constantly looking for ideas and tips for online book marketing. Like most self-publishers, I have a tight leash on my purse strings and don’t have 24 hours in a day to avail myself personally to market my books. I do however know that the internet is powerful and I can hone in on a myriad of different strategies to suit my needs and propel my books towards increased sales and recognition.
The greatest challenge I face with online marketing is simply that there is too much information! How could I possibly activate every strategy I come across and to be honest, not all mediums suit me personally, as a writer and marketer. Filtering the gathered information is in itself, a time consuming task. Therefore, I have decided to create a new segment for this blog:
ONLINE BOOK MARKETING TIPS!
- Writing a book is the easiest part of self-publishing. Marketing a book on the other hand, is a beast we all have to conquer. It takes tenacity and commitment. I want to help you as I learn along the way.
- This will help me gather my thoughts and instead of creating external documents and diary notes to capture all the points I have in my head, blog posts will not only help me retain that information but will do so in a succinct manner.
- This is my mid-year resolution. I think it’s too hard commencing a new goal or objective at the start of the year after a period of festivities and holidays. We need to start resolutions when we have the momentum to move forward. Also, the end of the year allows us to rest, which is the perfect half way mark for any venture. So July 1, here I come!
- This challenge will help me filter information and select the tactics that I can work with. This will also include some basic dos and don’ts as well as strategies I believe will work but don’t have the time or courage to go for it.
- For the love of blogging! This makes for the perfect excuse to satisfy my cravings…
- To help other indie authors out there that is instigating their journey of self-publishing and to give them easy and workable tips to get them started or to help them discover new strategies that they may work for them.
- This is one form of online book marketing – blogging!
I am certainly no expert and I continue to learn each and every day. However I am enjoying the journey immensely and it would be best to capitalise on that energy whilst it’s still there! The world of online marketing is ever changing and unless we continue to keep up with the times, we will be left behind. I will not be imparting statistical information but rather simple pieces of information, just to plant that seed in your head. I am not about bombarding you with industry jargon which frankly only makes me stop reading potentially valuable information.
You can then decide for yourself if it’s an avenue you wish to pursue and if it would be beneficial to you and your end goals.