Posted by A.S. Chung.
Award-wining author of children’s picture books A Brand New Day: about divorce and Wishful Wedding: about LGBT equality and same gender families. Creator of Pigeonhole Books and blogs about self-publishing, writing, online book marketing, peer bloggers and illustrators.
HOW AUTHORS ARE UNDER UTILISING LINKEDIN
ONLINE BOOK MARKETING TIP
How much of LinkedIn do you actually use?
Browse through the “Interest” tab and what do you see? How many of those functions do you utilise to your advantage either for informational purposes or as a marketing tool to promote your books? Let’s explore some of these offerings.
A Company Page allows you to learn more about a specific company you may interested in. By following a business of interest to you, you can:
- Learn more about the company, such as a publishing corporation, as you browse through their overview and any other information they may provide.
- Get the latest updates and developments about a particular business and any news regarding an industry of interest such as publishing or writing.
- Learn more about specific aspects of their business should they utilise the Showcase Pages e.g. information for illustrators, picture books, submission etc.
- Enables you to find specific employees within the company you may wish to connect with that could possibly help you as an indie author ie editors, copywriters etc.
- View available careers within the company that may be of interest to you if you think it may assist you with your writing career.
Create your own Company Page should it fit the criteria.
LinkedIn Groups are a fantastic way to get connected with like-minded professionals. There are many writers, children’s books, author and self-publishing groups that may of relevance to you. All groups are now private and you must be a member to participate in them. They are of great benefit because:
- You can engage in professional discussion about any topic relevant to that group. E.G. What are some of the best book marketing tips for a first time self-publishing author?
- You may start a discussion topic should you wish to find out more information.
- Engaging regularly in conversation enables others within the same industry to get to know you and is a great networking medium.
- Groups is not a place for self-promotion and is therefore moderated regularly which gives you a genuine platform for open discussions.
- A good place to learn about the writing industry and anything associated with it to help you as a self-publishing author.
LinkedIn’s Pulse app is a professional news app that is tailored specifically to you to bring you breaking industry news and posts published by your network or by any of your connections.
- It is a fantastic way to get a snapshot about fellow authors, news about publishing companies or industry stories which may be relevant to you, on one medium, whilst you’re on the run.
- You can publish a post to add you’re your connections’ feed so they may keep up to date of your breaking stories or posts.
- An excellent tool for you to promote your work through innovative writing
SlideShare is a digital platform that joined the LinkedIn family in 2012. It started out as a means for people to upload their PowerPoint or video presentations and share with the world. This has now evolved into a content marketing medium for any type of digital content.
- A great medium to find well-presented digital content that may be useful to you from top experts.
- As an author you can upload your own digital content as another form of marketing to appeal to your LinkedIn followers and draw more attention to your book/s.
- SlideShare comes with its own analytical tools so another way to monitor its worth and if it helps with you your digital marketing activities.
- All users are able to share the digital content enabling further exposure
Want to learn a new skill? Join LinkedIn’s online learning platform that gives you access to a myriad of courses from design to marketing to the web.
- As most self-published authors would have probably learnt by now, writing the book was the easy part! Marketing the book brings about a whole new learning curve. This online learning platform would be a very useful tool.
- You may search your online learning by author, which enables you to follow a writer you may resonate with on specific topics.
- Documentaries by subject are also available for further learning.
- You can save you courses and documentaries on a playlist so that you can refer to them at any given time.
If you haven’t already done so, explore these functions. You may very well find new ways of marketing your book/s!