Posted by A.S. Chung.
Award-wining author of children’s picture books A Brand New Day: about divorce and Wishful Wedding: about LGBT equality and same gender families. Creator of Pigeonhole Books and blogs about self-publishing, writing, online book marketing, peer bloggers and illustrators.
TOP 25 INTERESTING INSTAGRAM FACTS FOR INDIE AUTHORS
ONLINE BOOK MARKETING TIP
I don’t use Instagram as a book marketing tool. But I love using this application personally. Therefore, I have decided to collate a list of interesting facts that will help me decide if I should adopt another platform (not that I don’t already have enough!). Yesterday, I explored Instagram for Self-Published Authors, as a general research piece to convince me it’s worth thinking about. However I felt that I needed more evidence to propel me further in making this commitment.
So here are some fascinating and interesting facts:
- Facebook owns Instagram
- There are over 300 million Instagram users in the world today
- There are more than 70 million photo and video shares each day
- Overall there have been 30 billion photos shared through the application
- 41% of Instagram users are aged between 16-24 years
- 20% of internet users have an Instagram account
- 95% of these users have a Facebook account whilst 83% of them have a Twitter account
- The breakdown of users over the continents is: 25% in North America, 33% in Latin America, 16% in Europe, 34% in the Middle East/Africa and 16% in Asia
- 61% of Instagramers like at least 1 posting a day
- 51% of users are male while, 49% are female
- 70% of Instagramers have already taken part in a contest or might do so
- Top 3 reasons why users follow brands on Instagram: 62% because they love the brand, 54% to discover new things, 48% because they find content interesting or funny
- On average, posts by top brands receive 216 comments, with 50% of comments being posted in the first 6 hours
- The average caption on Instagram is 138 characters long, including hashtags
- On average, posts that include another user handle in the caption receive 56% more engagement than those that don’t
- Adding a location results in 79% higher engagement
- 47% of adult users access Instagram from a smartphone. 53% use a tablet
- There are around 2.5 billion Instagram likes every day, or 8500 new likes each second. 1000 comments are left each second
- Around 25% of Fortune 500 companies use Instagram actively. They usually post on Thursdays
- The more hashtags you add, the more likes and comments you will get. Instagram allows up to 30
- Instagram users prefer desaturated photos. They get up to 600% more likes!
- Don’t leave too much blank space in your Instagram photos. Busier photos get more likes
- The number of Instagramers in the U.S. will reach approximately 106 million by 2018
- 26% of users earn an income of $50,000 – $74,999 whilst a further 26% earn over $75,000 per annum
- The average Instagram user spends 21 minutes per day using the app.
There are many more statistic I could have filtered however I felt this was sufficient to paint the picture. There must be at least a couple of facts above which caught your eye or perhaps peaked your interest in how you could use it sell your books and increase readership. Please feel free to share your Instagram experiences.
Instagram Blog: 300 Million: Sharing Real Moments
GWI Infographic: Instagram Users
Iconosquare Blog: 11 Instagram facts every marketer must know
Sprout Social: 5 Insightful Instagram Statistics That You Should Know
LinkedIn Pulse: The 2015 Instagram Statistics You Should Know
Agora Plus: 8 Little Known Facts About Instagram Pictures, Filters, and Hashtags
Pew Research Center: Demographics of Key Social Networking Platforms
Econsultancy: 20+ Instagram stats marketers need to know